Friday, January 30, 2009

Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering

I've just ripped open my delivery of new books. I love new books. Shiny, unmarked. I have this crazy habit of wanting to keep the books that way, so I never crack a spine. The only book that is messy and crazy bent is my old edition of "Your Baby and Child" from 1983 that is now in the safe-keeping of my daughter.

So, with the packing dumped on the floor, I curled into my big chair to look at Sarah Buckley's book "Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering". I've been wanting to read this book for a long time. As a lurker on the Maternity Care Discussion Group (MCDG/Matrix) email list, I read Dr. Sarah's posts from Australia and know that I'm going to love whatever she's written. She gets birth. She just gets it.

So, I started laughing when I read the blurb on the back of the book...she writes about "undisturbed birth", the need to surrender, the need to turn off the clocks... Hey, that's what I say to my clients! Those are my words! I've been using these words for over 20 years!

But none of this is ours...it all belongs to birth. Birth, if we listen closely, tells us the truth about us, our bodies, and our minds. Sarah's words are my words because we both listen to birth.

I think I'm going to enjoy this book...

Later...(2/1/09)...I'm still reading Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering by Sarah Buckley, but I think I'm going to have to make this required reading for clients (with Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth). Sarah discusses everything that I've been telling my clients for years, but she includes the updated research citations to back it all up. Read the "Undisturbed Birth" section, and you won't look at birth quite the same ever again. It is quite compelling...
Much later...(2/6/09)...I was sad to finish this amazing book, and handed it off to my daughter, Sarah, for her appraisal. I'm getting phone updates: "The gestational diabetes section is great - a bit overwhelming, but her conclusion is priceless." I'll get it back from her and start reading it again...

- Jacquie Munro, Vancouver Doula

1 comment:

Rosie said...

I think I'll buy myself this book for Valentines Day :D I've been rereading, The Baby Catcher. I instinctively lent it to my last client and it seemed to really help her 'get it' (a quick VB2C). I finally got someone to gift me a subscription of Midwifery Today for Christmas - Yeah!